Thursday, January 6, 2011

Coon Huntin', Getting Stuck and Alabama

Okay I will start with Coon Hunting since that is where I left off. (by the way I have barely a signal here in Alabamie so bear with me)

So we eat a delicious dinner of Venison Stroganoff with yummy home grown green beans and some beer that I can't pronounce. (Yeangliang??) Then go coon hunting about 7:30pm.  Off we go into the pitch black with the hunting expert Ray, an 11 year old Mountain Cur and our own Mary Jean, the rookie.  We hiked around a bunch in the dark and Ray treed (is that a word?) but we couldn't find anything.  (reminder to self:  next time I go coon hunting I need a better light)  So we went tramping some more, climbed under a fence that Cary says, "If you touch that wire it will make you cry like a girl".  So knowing what that is like, I didn't touch the wire. (Ida mae knows what that feels like too).  Now we are near some neighbors houses who are cat lovers so I am getting nervous about MJ eating a cat.  I also know that Ray has a special bark when he trees a cat, like 10000 barks per second so I was waiting to hear that but nothing.  He treed again and I am thinking where is houndog MJ????  She is sniffing my leg instead of hunting, some mighty hunter she turned out to be, more interested in where Mama is instead of getting something treed. (I'm getting the coon hunters lingo down now) Again we can't find what he treed.  So we decide it's either go home now around 9pm or go over the mountain for an all nighter.  We decided to go home.  On the way home wonder dog trees again in another neighbors backyard and Cary and Terry decide to drive there to get it.  It being an opossum that got shot and Ray got to play with it on the way home.  Meanwhile back at the ranch, I was trying to help our wonder dog MJ out from under the board fence.  And that pretty much sums up Coon Hunting.
Last night we went to Mark and Michele's house for delicous lasagna dinner.  Fun and we played "PIT"  which is hilarious and I was hoarse from shouting when we left.

This morning after taking Cary out to breakfast at the "Good Restaurant" we departed for Alabama.  We made it here in about 3 hours and spent the next two hours trying to get into our camping spot.  Apparently no one here in Alabama has a rig quite as long as ours and the road has weird humps in  it that our spare tire kept getting stuck on.  Terry had to back up through a tight curve in the woods with me on the ground navigating.  Now everyone knows husbands and wives should never to this together.  (Where are you Uncle Lloyd when I need you)  Can you believe we actually got the trailer stuck on a hump in the road?  After we finally got turned around with a lot of shouting and name calling it dragged AGAIN before we finally got it parked on a hideous sidehill and spent another hour trying to level it.  So I am sitting in the truck DRINKING TEQUILA and listening to Vince Gill sing me christmas carols and trying to destress.  It is working beautifully and I see Terry has a fire going.  All in all this campground looks really nice and we are the only one here and were able to scrounge some wood from other campsites and for $3.00 a day it is perfect.

With my low signal I won't try for pics, maybe tomorrow if we go into town.

Goodnight all.

1 comment:

  1. Nanc, you are such an awesome, descriptive "blogger"! Miss you guys! Dad, Joan, the kids, and an extra neighbor kid are all getting their Horseopoly "fix".
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete